If you’ve ever watched a University of Minnesota sports event, you’ve probably seen the amazing Dance squad in action. They’re the ones who pump up the crowd with their energetic and synchronized routines, wearing the maroon and gold colors of the Gophers.
But who are they, and how do they do it? In this blog post, I’ll tell you everything you need to know about the University of Minnesota Dance squad, and how you can learn from them to improve your own dancing skills.
What is the University of Minnesota Dance squad?
The University of Minnesota Dance squad is a group of talented and dedicated dancers who represent the university at various athletic and community events. They perform at home football, basketball, volleyball, and hockey games, as well as at national and international competitions.
The Dance squad is composed of two teams: the Jazz team and the Pom team. The Jazz team focuses on technical and artistic elements, while the Pom team emphasizes sharp and precise movements. Both teams showcase a variety of styles, such as jazz, hip hop, lyrical, and pom.
The Dance squad is not only a performance group, but also a competitive one. They have won multiple national titles in both jazz and pom categories, and have been recognized as one of the best collegiate dance teams in the country. They have also participated in the World University Games, the World Dance Championships, and the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.
How to join the University of Minnesota Dance squad?
If you’re a student at the University of Minnesota and you love to dance, you might be wondering how to join the Dance squad. Well, it’s not easy, but it’s not impossible either. Here are the steps you need to take:
- First, you need to meet the eligibility requirements. You must be a full-time student at the University of Minnesota, with a minimum GPA of 2.0. You must also be in good academic and disciplinary standing, and have a valid physical exam.
- Second, you need to prepare for the audition. You need to learn the audition material, which is posted on the Dance squad website a few weeks before the audition date. You also need to submit an online application, a headshot, a resume, and a video of yourself performing a solo routine of your choice.
- Third, you need to attend the audition. The audition is usually held in April or May, and consists of two rounds. In the first round, you will perform the audition material in groups of four or five, in front of a panel of judges. In the second round, you will perform your solo routine, and answer some interview questions. The judges will evaluate you based on your technique, style, performance, personality, and potential.
- Fourth, you need to wait for the results. The judges will select the members of the Jazz team and the Pom team, and announce them on the Dance squad website. If you make the team, you will receive an email with further instructions and information.
How to dance like the University of Minnesota Dance squad?
If you’re not a student at the University of Minnesota, or you’re not interested in joining the Dance squad, but you still want to dance like them, don’t worry. You can still learn from their skills and techniques, and apply them to your own dancing. Here are some tips to help you dance like a Gopher:
- Watch and learn. One of the best ways to improve your dancing is to watch and learn from other dancers, especially the ones you admire. You can watch the Dance squad’s performances on their YouTube channel, or on their social media accounts. Pay attention to how they move, how they express themselves, and how they interact with each other and the audience.
- Practice and train. Another way to improve your dancing is to practice and train regularly. You can join a dance class, a dance team, or a dance club, or you can practice on your own. The key is to challenge yourself, and to work on your strength, flexibility, endurance, and coordination. You can also practice the Dance squad’s routines, or create your own, and perform them in front of a mirror, a camera, or a friend.
- Have fun and be confident. The most important thing to remember when dancing is to have fun and be confident. Dancing is a form of expression, and a way to enjoy yourself. Don’t be afraid to try new things, to make mistakes, or to show your personality. Be proud of your achievements, and celebrate your progress. And always remember to smile, because that’s what the Dance squad does.
Here are some frequently asked questions about the University of Minnesota Dance squad:
Q: How many members are there in the Dance squad?
- A: There are usually 16 members in the Jazz team, and 16 members in the Pom team, for a total of 32 members.
Q: How often does the Dance squad practice?
- A: The Dance squad practices three times a week, for about three hours each session. They also have additional practices before games and competitions.
Q: How much does it cost to be in the Dance squad?
- A: The Dance squad is partially funded by the university, but the members also have to pay for some expenses, such as travel, costumes, and equipment. The estimated cost per year is about $1,500.
Q: How can I support the Dance squad?
- A: You can support the Dance squad by attending their performances, cheering for them, following them on social media, and donating to their fundraising efforts.
I hope you enjoyed reading this blog post, and learned something new about the University of Minnesota Dance squad. If you did, please share it with your friends, and leave a comment below. And if you want to see more of my creative writing, please subscribe to my newsletter. Thank you for reading! ?