What is Wyzant?
Wyzant is an online marketplace that allows students to find and book tutors in over 300 subjects, from math and science to music and languages. Wyzant was founded in 2005 by two Princeton graduates who wanted to make tutoring more accessible and affordable. Wyzant’s mission is to help students achieve their learning goals and empower tutors to build their careers.
Wyzant works by letting students browse through the profiles of tutors who match their criteria, such as subject, level, availability, location, and price. Students can also post a request for a specific tutor or subject and wait for tutors to apply. Once a student finds a tutor they like, they can message them, schedule a lesson, and pay securely through the Wyzant platform. Wyzant also offers a free trial lesson for new students to test out a tutor before committing.
Wyzant’s main features include:
- A large network of qualified and experienced tutors in various subjects and levels
- A user-friendly website and app that allow students to search, filter, and compare tutors
- A flexible and convenient booking system that lets students schedule lessons at their preferred time and place
- A secure payment system that protects both students and tutors from fraud and disputes
- A quality assurance system that monitors tutor performance and reviews
- A customer support team that is available 24/7 to assist students and tutors with any issues or questions
Wyzant Pros and Cons
Like any online service, Wyzant has its pros and cons. Here are some of the main advantages and disadvantages of using Wyzant as a student or tutor.
- Wyzant offers a wide range of subjects and tutors to choose from, so you can find the best match for your learning needs and preferences
- Wyzant allows you to learn at your own pace and schedule, whether you prefer online or in-person lessons, one-on-one or group sessions, or short-term or long-term tutoring
- Wyzant provides a safe and reliable platform for students and tutors to communicate, book, and pay for lessons, with features such as identity verification, background checks, and payment protection
- Wyzant guarantees a high-quality tutoring experience, with features such as tutor ratings, reviews, testimonials, and badges, as well as a free trial lesson and a money-back guarantee
- Wyzant supports students and tutors with helpful resources, such as articles, videos, blogs, podcasts, and FAQs, as well as a dedicated customer service team
- Wyzant charges a service fee of 9% for students and 25% for tutors, which can add up to a significant amount over time
- Wyzant does not verify the credentials or qualifications of tutors, so students have to rely on the information provided by the tutors themselves, which may not always be accurate or honest
- Wyzant does not offer a standardized curriculum or assessment for students, so students have to set their own learning goals and track their own progress
- Wyzant does not guarantee the availability or consistency of tutors, so students may have to deal with cancellations, rescheduling, or switching tutors
- Wyzant has some negative reviews and complaints from both students and tutors, mainly about the service fee, the quality of tutors, the customer service, and the account deactivation
Wyzant Review: My Verdict
Based on my research and experience, I think Wyzant is a legit and real platform that can help students find and book tutors online. Wyzant is not a scam or fake, as it has been in business for over 15 years and has served millions of customers. Wyzant has a lot of positive reviews and testimonials from satisfied students and tutors, as well as a high rating on sites like Trustpilot and Sitejabber.
However, Wyzant is not perfect and has some drawbacks that you should be aware of before using it. Wyzant can be expensive, especially if you take a lot of lessons or hire a high-priced tutor. Wyzant can also be risky, as you may not always get the quality or reliability of tutoring that you expect or deserve. Wyzant can also be frustrating, as you may encounter some issues or problems with the platform or the customer service.
Therefore, I recommend Wyzant to students who are looking for a convenient and flexible way to find and book tutors online but who are also willing to pay a premium and take a chance. Wyzant can be a great option for students who need help with a specific subject or skill, who want to learn something new or interesting, or who want to have fun and interact with a tutor. Wyzant can also be a good option for tutors who want to earn some extra income and reach more students online, but who are also prepared to share a large portion of their earnings and follow the rules and policies of the platform.
Wyzant Review: Tips and Tricks
If you decide to use Wyzant as a student or a tutor, here are some tips and tricks that can help you make the most of it.
Do your research before hiring a tutor
- Read their profile, reviews, testimonials, and badges carefully. Check their credentials, qualifications, and experience. Ask them questions about their teaching style, methods, and expectations. Watch their video introduction and request a free trial lesson if possible.
Be clear about your learning goals and needs
- Tell your tutor what you want to learn, why you want to learn it, and how you want to learn it. Share your current level, challenges, and interests. Provide any relevant materials, such as textbooks, assignments, or exams. Set realistic and measurable objectives and track your progress.
Be respectful and professional with your tutor
- Communicate with them regularly and promptly. Confirm your lessons in advance and show up on time. If you need to cancel or reschedule, do so as early as possible and follow the cancellation policy. Pay your tutor fairly and on time. Give honest and constructive feedback and ratings.
Be flexible and open-minded with your tutor
- Try different subjects, levels, and modes of learning. Experiment with different tools, resources, and strategies. Ask questions, participate actively, and have fun. Learn from your mistakes and celebrate your achievements.
Create a compelling profile that showcases your skills and personality
- Write a catchy and informative bio that highlights your qualifications, experience, and passion. Upload a clear and professional photo that reflects your identity and style. Record a video introduction that demonstrates your communication and teaching skills. Add any relevant badges, such as background checks, identity verification, or subject tests.
Set a competitive and fair price for your services
- Consider your subject, level, demand, and location. Research the market and compare your rates with other tutors. Adjust your price according to your availability, performance, and feedback. Offer discounts or packages for loyal or long-term students.
Market yourself and attract more students
- Choose the subjects and levels you are most comfortable and confident with. Update your availability and location regularly. Respond to student requests and messages quickly and politely. Apply to student posts that match your criteria and preferences. Ask for referrals and testimonials from your existing students.
Deliver a high-quality and personalized tutoring experience
- Prepare for each lesson and tailor it to the student’s goals and needs. Use effective and engaging teaching methods and materials. Provide clear and constructive feedback and assessment. Follow up with the student and review their progress and satisfaction.
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about Wyzant, along with their answers.
How much does Wyzant cost?
Wyzant does not charge a fixed or monthly fee for students or tutors. Instead, Wyzant charges a variable service fee based on the price of each lesson. The service fee for students is 9% of the lesson price, while the service fee for tutors is 25% of the lesson price. For example, if a lesson costs $40, the student will pay $43.60, and the tutor will receive $30.
The lesson price is determined by the tutor, who can set their own hourly rate based on their subject, level, experience, and demand. The average hourly rate on Wyzant is $45, but it can range from $10 to $300 depending on the tutor and the subject.
How do I find a tutor on Wyzant?
There are two ways to find a tutor on Wyzant: browsing or requesting. You can browse through the profiles of tutors who match your criteria, such as subject, level, availability, location, and price. You can also filter, sort, and compare tutors based on their ratings, reviews, testimonials, and badges. You can then message the tutors you like and ask them any questions you have before booking a lesson.
Alternatively, you can post a request for a specific tutor or subject and wait for tutors to apply. You can specify your budget, schedule, goals, and preferences in your request. You can then review the applications and choose the tutor you want to work with.
How do I book a lesson on Wyzant?
Once you find a tutor you want to work with, you can book a lesson with them through the Wyzant platform. You can either accept an offer from the tutor or send a request to the tutor. You can then select the date, time, duration, and mode of the lesson, whether online or in person. You can also add any notes or attachments for the tutor to prepare for the lesson.
After you book a lesson, you will receive a confirmation email and a reminder email before the lesson. You will also see the lesson details on your Wyzant dashboard. You can cancel or reschedule a lesson up to 24 hours before the start time without any penalty. If you cancel or reschedule within 24 hours, you may be charged a cancellation fee of up to 100% of the lesson price.
How do I pay for a lesson on Wyzant?
You can pay for a lesson on Wyzant using a credit card, debit card, PayPal, or Wyzant gift card. You can add or update your payment method in your Wyzant account settings. You can also choose to enable or disable automatic payments, which will charge your payment method after each lesson.
You will not be charged until after the lesson is completed and confirmed by both you and the tutor. You will receive a receipt email and see the payment details on your Wyzant dashboard. You can also request a refund or dispute a charge within 72 hours of the lesson.
How do I become a tutor on Wyzant?
If you want to become a tutor on Wyzant, you have to apply and create a profile on the Wyzant website. You have to provide your name, email, phone number, address, education, work experience, and subjects you want to tutor. You also have to upload a photo, write a bio, and record a video introduction. You may also have to take some tests to prove your proficiency in your subjects.
After you submit your application, Wyzant will review it and verify your identity and background. This may take up to a few weeks. If your application is approved, you can start tutoring at Wyzant. If your application is rejected, you can reapply after six months.
How do I get paid as a tutor on Wyzant?
You can get paid as a tutor on Wyzant using direct deposit, PayPal, or check. You can add or update your payment method in your Wyzant account settings. You can also choose to enable or disable automatic withdrawals, which will transfer your earnings to your payment method every week.
You will earn money after each lesson is completed and confirmed by both you and the student