Jumia, Nigeria’s leading e-commerce platform, is often misconceived as the sole owner and seller of the products listed on its website. However, this notion is far from accurate as Jumia primarily serves as a marketplace for vendors to showcase and sell their products. In essence, Jumia does not possess or directly sell any of the items on its platform; instead, it focuses on order fulfillment. This means that virtually anyone can become a seller on Jumia and generate substantial income with minimal hassle.
Understanding this fact might pique your interest in learning how to become a successful Jumia seller. Therefore, we’ve compiled this post to provide you with a comprehensive, step-by-step guide to kickstart your selling journey on Jumia.
Within this guide, you’ll discover crucial information about the terms and conditions associated with selling on Jumia, strategies for maximizing your earnings, and techniques to ensure your products gain visibility on the platform, ultimately boosting your sales. Additionally, we’ll reveal the most sought-after products for quick and profitable sales.
Are you eager to delve into the world of Jumia selling? Let’s embark on this journey together!
What Is Jumia?
Jumia stands as a prominent e-commerce website that facilitates online shopping for a wide range of products, which are then delivered to customers either at designated delivery stations or directly to their homes. The company extends its services across numerous African countries, including Nigeria, South Africa, Egypt, Algeria, Morocco, and more.
While Jumia is renowned for its extensive customer base, it’s important to note that you, too, can become a seller on the platform. By listing your products, you can secure sales and generate income without the need to handle product deliveries personally.
Why Sell on Jumia?
Much like Amazon, Jumia offers a multitude of advantages to sellers, including:
1. Expanded Audience Reach: Many Jumia sellers originally operate physical stores. If you already have offline products, Jumia, with its over 7 million monthly users (in Nigeria alone), provides an excellent platform to transition online and access a broader audience, thereby enhancing brand visibility.
2. Increased Sales: By tapping into this wider audience, you can also elevate your product sales and significantly accelerate the growth of your business.
3. Cost-Free Entry:One remarkable aspect of Jumia for sellers is that registering and listing your products for sale on the platform is entirely free. This means there are no upfront financial commitments.
4. Work from Home: Jumia doesn’t solely cater to businesses with physical stores. If you have a product to sell, you can list it on the platform and manage your sales comfortably from your home.
5. Opportunities for Dropshipping and Mini Importation: Jumia also serves as an ideal platform for engaging in dropshipping and mini importation. This means you can become a Jumia seller without ever needing to handle or physically possess the products you offer; a smartphone is all you require.
How Do You Earn Money Selling on Jumia?
Sellers, often referred to as vendors, earn income on Jumia when buyers place orders and make payments for their products. However, it’s essential to note that Jumia deducts a certain percentage as a commission from each successful sale.
Crucially, there are no upfront charges when registering as a seller and listing your products on Jumia. You only incur fees when you make a sale, and these commissions can vary depending on the product category. Below is a screenshot illustrating the commissions paid by Jumia sellers for each successful sale.
How to Begin Selling on Jumia in 2023:
1. Visit the Jumia Vendors Page
To initiate your journey as a Jumia seller, your first step involves visiting the Jumia vendor page. There, you should thoroughly review all the terms and conditions. Once you’re satisfied, proceed to sign up for an account.
2. Complete the Registration Process
During the sign-up process, you will be required to provide various personal details, including your email address, company name, phone number, bank account information, and residential address. It is crucial to ensure the accuracy of the information you provide. Double-check your entries before submitting.
Following this step, an email containing your Jumia Seller Center Access Code will be sent to you. Copy this code, then visit the Jumia Seller Center page and use the access code to log into your account. This action fully activates your account, making it ready for selling.
3. Engage in Dedicated New Seller Training
As a newly registered seller, you’ll receive prompts to participate in dedicated training. This training is available both online (via YouTube) and offline. Its purpose is to equip you with the skills needed to excel as an online vendor and an e-commerce expert.
4. List Your Products
After completing the training, your next step is to begin listing products on Jumia. Start by uploading a minimum of 5 products you wish to sell. This listing process can be managed through your seller center dashboard.
5. Optimize Your Listings
When you’re in the process of listing your product, it’s essential to implement some SEO techniques (search engine optimization) to achieve optimal results. On Jumia, users frequently search for particular products they intend to purchase, such as ‘iPhone 14.’
To ensure your products appear in search results when users enter relevant search phrases on Jumia, you’ll need to optimize your product listings. This can be accomplished by following the guidelines outlined below.
Enhance Your Title: Ensure that your product title aligns with common search phrases. For instance, if you’re selling a white Apple wristwatch, your title should reflect this.
Refine Your Description: Incorporate the product name multiple times within the product description.
Perfect Your Product Images: Capture clear and high-quality images of your products, adhering to Jumia’s recommended image size.
By systematically implementing these steps, even as a newcomer, you significantly increase your chances of making sales quickly.
6. Market Your Products
While Jumia enjoys a substantial influx of direct website traffic from potential buyers, expediting results is best achieved by directing traffic to your products through third-party platforms.
This can be accomplished in two ways: either through free methods or paid methods. The free approach entails leveraging social media platforms such as Facebook, TikTok, Instagram, WhatsApp, and Twitter to promote your products without incurring costs.
Alternatively, the paid method involves a small investment but yields quicker and more sales-focused results. With the paid method, you can run targeted advertisements on various social media platforms to drive traffic.
Another effective paid approach is to utilize Jumia’s advertising services, which tend to yield remarkable results. By opting for this service, your products will prominently feature on Jumia whenever potential buyers search for related items.
All of these marketing methods are highly effective, particularly for those seeking rapid results when selling on Jumia.
7. Master Order Fulfillment Options
Once your sales begin to pick up, the next crucial step is ensuring the timely delivery of products to your customers. After receiving an order, you are allotted a 24-hour window to prepare the product for shipping. As sales may originate from different locations, you might be wondering how to fulfill these orders efficiently.
Fortunately, Jumia simplifies the order fulfillment process for sellers by offering two flexible methods:
–Jumia VDO Station: With this method, you take responsibility for storing and packaging the product for shipment. Subsequently, you deliver the package to the nearest Jumia VDO station, where they oversee the final steps to ensure the product reaches the buyer.
– Jumia Express Delivery: Opting for express delivery entails Jumia taking on all aspects of the process, including storage, packaging, and delivery to the buyers. Under this method, upon listing your products on Jumia, you will deliver them to a designated Jumia VDO location, where they will be stored until you receive orders. Once an order is placed, Jumia takes care of the packaging and swiftly ships the products to the buyers.
What You Cannot List for Sale on Jumia
Jumia maintains a strict policy against listing certain products on its platform to ensure a positive user experience. Prohibited items for sale on Jumia include:
1. Stolen or counterfeit products.
2. Products counterfeiting financial instruments, such as currency, valid invoices from any country, fake money, etc.
3. Illegal substances and products designed to produce, modify, or consume illegal substances, including drugs, medicines, steroids, etc.
4. Any financial instrument not approved by relevant financial regulatory authorities.
5. Plants and animals threatened by extinction, including fur, organs, and parts of animals.
6. Explosive materials.
7. Flammable materials.
8. Items considered part of the historic heritage.
9. Articles related to hacking.
10. Weapons and items related to ammunition and bullets.
11. Fake documents like fake IDs, counterfeit birth certificates, and driver’s licenses, etc.
12. Items related to pedophilia, pornography, and explicit content involving children.
14. Any item that violates intellectual property rights.
Attempting to list any of these prohibited products on Jumia will result in the product not being approved, and it may lead to the permanent deactivation of your seller account by Jumia.
Selling on Jumia 2023 – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What is the cost of selling on Jumia Nigeria?
2. What are the prerequisites for selling on Jumia?
To commence your selling journey on Jumia, you must register as a vendor, providing your phone number, email address, and bank details.
Is selling on Jumia a profitable endeavor?
Indeed, selling on Jumia can be highly lucrative, especially when it comes to expanding your customer base and increasing sales, particularly if you already operate a brick-and-mortar store.
Is there a fee for selling on Jumia?
There is no initial investment required to kickstart your selling journey on Jumia. However, a commission, calculated as a percentage, is levied on each successful sale you make.
What are the top-selling products on Jumia?
The most sought-after products on Jumia tend to be phones and electronics.
What is the typical payment timeframe for Jumia sellers?
Jumia typically disburses payments to sellers approximately 8 days after the product has been delivered to the buyers.
For those seeking to enter the realm of online commerce in Nigeria and various other African nations, Jumia serves as an excellent platform, especially for newcomers. If you’re eager to commence your journey promptly, this comprehensive guide on how to sell on Jumia in 2023 contains all the information you need!
Jumia offers an enticing platform for sellers to reach a vast audience, boost sales, and generate income without any initial costs. It’s a versatile platform suitable for businesses of all sizes, including those interested in dropshipping and mini importation. So, are you ready to explore the possibilities of Jumia selling? Let’s dive right in!